This course is an introduction to landscape design with Sketchup Pro.
In this unique course geared towards landscape applications we introduce a whole new integrated 3-dimensional design and modeling process.
Whether your preferred medium is pen and paper or a conventional 2-dimensional CAD program, the ability to work in 3 dimensions and view your work from all angles will undoubtedly enrich your creative design process. And the fluidity of non-static, 3-dimensional models will empower you to communicate your ideas to landscape decision makers who do not have the designer's ability to mentally project a 2-dimensional drawing into images of a real live landscape.
Here are some of the exciting, cutting edge techniques you will learn in this course:
- Conventional presentation documents including a full set of 2-dimensional landscape plans
- Computer-based presentations, slide shows and animations
- Integration with imported design components, including base maps and construction elements
- 3-dimensional landscape modeling
- Terrain modeling
- Integration with Excel spreadsheets and Word documents
- Integration with Google maps
Who should consider this course?
- Landscape designers and architects
- Land planners
- Anybody tired of drafting by hand!
This course is only offered online. It is a prerequisite or co-requisite for our online Ecological Landscape Design course.
Please read the course outline here: Landscape Design Basics with Sketchup Pro Course Outline.
Students can expect to dedicate 8-10 hours per week to successfully complete this course.
IMPORTANT: You must have a desktop or laptop computer that meets the hardware and software requirements of the Sketchup Studio program. It will not be possible to complete the assignments on a tablet, phone or similar hand held devices. Please review the technology tab above to learn more.
As well, our courses are offered in the continuing education realm and are designed so students can complete them according to their own schedule. The work is divided up into 14 weekly topics and students are expected to complete their assigned work and quizzes by the given deadlines.
Our courses do not use online meetings, so we are not using Google Meet, Zoom or other online meeting applications.
If you have any questions about studying online with Gaia College please see our FAQs page
- Comprehensive on-line educational materials
- Unlimited access to our on-line course resources, community center, including libraries, discussion forums and much more.
Students will receive instructions on how to purchase a SketchUp Studio Student 1-Year License ($55 USD) during the first week of class.
By Mail: Cheque drawn on a Canadian bank; Money order in Canadian funds
On-line: Visa, Mastercard
Please be sure you are familiar with our policies.
It is strongly recommended that students complete the Organic Master Gardener / Organic Horticulture Specialist and Ecological Plant Knowledge 1 - Natives courses prior to taking this course.
Additionally, students must:
- be proficient in English (written)
- be comfortable with current computer and internet technology
- have an email account capable of receiving a large number of messages for the duration of the course
- have access to high-speed internet
- have access to a computer capable of running the current version of SketchUp Pro. It is not possible to complete the assignments on a tablet, phone or similar hand held devices. Please review the system requirements
This is not an introductory computer skills course, but an introduction to a very sophisticated computer assisted design program. In particular, facility in working with files on your computer is required. SketchUp Pro is used by professionals world-wide.
There are no formal exams in this course, as the emphasis is on developing practical skills.
To receive a Certificate of Completion students must contribute to all on-line discussions and satisfactorily complete all assignments.
Students must use SketchUp Studio. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that they have the required computer hardware, with a supported operating system, to run SketchUp Pro 2020. The system requirements for SketchUp Pro can be found here.
Students will receive instructions on how to purchase a SketchUp Studio Student 1-Year License during the first week of class.
For students using an Apple computer we recommend using a three button mouse.
This program is eligible for Continuing Education Credits (CECs) with the following:
Canadian Nursery Landscape Association (CNLA)
National Association of Landcare Professionals (NALP) – American
B.C. Society of Landscape Architects
As per Society guidelines - eligibility of this program has been confirmed
Master Gardeners of Ontario Inc. (MGOI)
Canadian Society for Organic Urban Land Care (SOUL)
Pre-approved: 6 Credits
Northeast Organic Farming Association (NOFA)
Pre-approved: 4 Credits
Architectural Institute of British Columbia (AIBC)
Pre-approved: 56 Core LUs
How to Apply for Your Continuing Education Credits
For information on obtaining your credits please see: How to Apply for your Continuing Education Credits