Gaia College teaches landscape design and gardening practices that supports healthy soils, healthy plants and healthy ecosystems. Our goal is to aid communities in moving beyond conventional landscaping to organic land care.
What is Organic Land Care?
Organic land care is the design, installation and maintenance of landscapes to promote and preserve environmental health both above and below ground.
These practices arise from the understanding that all organisms in nature are interdependent, and in order to have healthy plants we must foster the health of their entire ecosystem.
Organic land care practices go beyond integrated pest management, beyond the use of so-called organic fertilizers and pesticides.
They acknowledge the concept of intrinsic health, and seek to create environments that cater to the well-being of all their inhabitants.
Organic land care professionals know that they are but stewards of the land, and can at best hope to work WITH nature, never to dominate it.
- To teach a conscious way of living and working with nature
- To facilitate holistic thinking and practices through integration of knowledge from many disciplines
- To promote and demonstrate stewardship and regeneration of local and global resources
- To promote and demonstrate principles of conserving and regenerating biodiversity
- To provide a cooperative environment for the expression of ideas and sharing of knowledge
- To be motivated by love and service, not fear and greed
The book discussed in the above video is called 'Working With Nature'. Click here for more info.
30 September, 1948 - 18 March, 2016